Nov 9, 2010

Cee-Lo Green: "The Lady Killer"

Okay, so here's the deal.  In general I want this to be a blog about un- and re-discovered gems from the past, but I gotta promote certain modern artists when they release new albums, and Cee-Lo is top among said artists, in my estimation.  I've been following Cee-Lo's career for a while now, from his early days in Goodie Mob, to his first couple of solo albums, to the Gnarls Barkley material, and finally ending up here, with 2010's "The Lady Killer."  Now, I'd like to clear the air about something, and that is, though the Gnarls Barkley albums were interesting in their own way, and definitely got Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse paid, Cee-Lo's earlier solo records always seemed to me to reveal more of the man himself.  Rather than painting on the abstract canvas of the Gnarls albums, Cee-Lo's solo work showed where his raw, earthy soul came from, and in that sense presented a much more personal perspective to listeners.  So, needless to say, I was awaiting "The Lady Killer" with baited breath, and not just because the summer single "Fuck You" might be the most ridiculously catchy song of the decade.  Does this album live up to the hype that I've just created, you ask?  Yes and no.  Yes, because it is sonically and lyrically innovative, and because it creates a unique, soulful sound that all the Danger Mice in the world couldn't conceive of if they tried.  No, because it presents Cee-Lo in a slightly different light than any of us have seen before, and that is in the guise of a pop star playing and singing (relatively) straightforward pop songs.  Considering this, the liking of this album completely depends on the listener themselves.  If you are already a Cee-Lo fan, pick this up NOW, and ask no further questions.  However, if you are just now becoming interested in his music, I'd recommend "Cee-Lo Green And His Perfect Imperfections" or even Goodie Mob's  "Still Standing" before this.  Do I like it?  Shit, I love it, but if you haven't been able to tell by this review, I can hardly be considered an objective party in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment